Free legal assistance with health care planning, advance care directives available at Dakota County “Open Courthouse” event on September 15
Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2017
Visitors to the Dakota County “Open Courthouse” event in Hastings on September 15 will have the opportunity to receive free, one-on-one legal assistance with health care planning and completion of advance care directives.
The legal assistance will be provided through Mitchell Hamline School of Law’s Mobile Law Network
. The program uses a specially designed vehicle—nicknamed “The Wheels of Justice”—to transport law students throughout Minnesota to support a variety of legal services. Students provide information and assistance to those representing themselves and others who need guidance on legal matters. The vehicle is equipped with two private office spaces, allowing students to hold two simultaneous confidential meetings with potential clients.
The Mobile Law Network will be available at the Dakota County Judicial Center in Hastings from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. during the September 15th
event. Law students will be available to assist individuals with health care planning and completion of advance care directives. There is no cost for this service and individuals will be assisted on a first come, first served basis.
More information on the Dakota County “Open Courthouse” event
On Friday, September 15, the Dakota County Judicial Center in Hastings will open its doors to the public as part of a Constitution Day “Open Courthouse” event. In addition to the Mobile Law Network, the event will feature:
- A special welcome presentation featuring local judges, county commissioners, and two justices from the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- An opportunity to meet local district court judges and justice system partners.
- Self-guided “behind-the-scenes” tours of the Dakota County Justice Center, with presentations by judges and Dakota County justice partners.
- A mock jury selection demonstration, showing how jurors are selected to serve on trials.
- An information fair with representatives from numerous law- and justice-related organizations.
- Information on legal resources and other services available in the community.
The event is being held to help mark Constitution Day, a federal day of observance during which Americans reflect on the rights and freedoms granted to them through the signing of the United States Constitution.
The event is free and open to anyone interested in learning more about Minnesota’s justice system.
More information about the event, including a complete event schedule, is posted at www.mncourts.gov/DakotaOpenCourthouse
The Dakota County Judicial Center is located at 1560 Highway 55 in Hastings
. Directions are available at http://www.mncourts.gov/Dakota
. Free public parking is available.