1st District  


Judicial Branch Home > First Judicial District Home > Sibley County >

Sibley County Juror Information

Sibley County Courthouse
400 Court Street
Gaylord, MN 55334
Phone:  (507) 237-4051
Fax:  (507) 237-4062

PLEASE BE AWARE: There is currently a nation-wide identity theft scam where callers try to get personal information under the guise of missed jury duty. Minnesota court staff will never ask prospective jurors for financial information such as credit card or bank account information. We will also never ask for social security numbers over the phone. Do not provide this kind of information to anyone claiming to represent the court system. If you receive this kind of request, hang up and contact your local jury office directly

The Jury Division provides jurors for the Sibley County Courts. Trial by jury is a basic American right and the very essence of freedom under our Constitution. Participation of Sibley County citizens will help preserve this basic fundamental right. Residents are selected at random from voter registration, driver license and Minnesota State ID lists to serve as jurors. Approximately 400 Sibley County residents are summoned to serve as jurors every year.

The Jury Administration Plan is established in accordance with the Minnesota General Rules of Practice for District Courts, Rule 804, and shall be used for the administration of the jury system in the First Judicial District, State of Minnesota.

Jury Information
To be qualified to serve as a Juror in the State of Minnesota, a prospective juror must be:
    1.  A citizen of the United States
    2.  At least 18 years old
    3.  A resident of the county
    4.  Able to communicate in the English language
    5.  Be physically and mentally capable of rendering satisfactory jury service
    6.  A person who has had their civil rights restored if they have been convicted of a felony
    7.  A person who has not served as a state or federal grand or petit juror in the past two years within the State of Minnesota 

The definition of service is:
     a)  Being available to report as required
     b)  Reporting as directed
     c)  Serving on a trial

To respond to your summons for jury service, request a postponement or make changes to your contact information online visit Jury Qualification Questionnaire

Jurors may be permanently excused for the following reasons ONLY:
    1.  A person age 70 or over who requests to be excused
    2.  A person who medically cannot serve with a doctor's statement verifying a permanent illness

To better accommodate prospective jurors' work and personal schedules, jurors may request a postponement of their jury duty.  Jury Management will grant only one postponement request per juror.  A request for postponement of jury service may be done online at http://www.mncourts.gov/?page=3603 or you may submit your request in writing to Sibley County District Court (address above), indicate the month that you prefer to serve.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Petit Jury Service

What time do I report each day?
On your first day, you report by 9:00 a.m. to receive orientation and instructions.   For following days, you generally report at 9:00 a.m. unless given other instructions either by a Judge or the recorded message you may be directed to call. 

Where do I report? 
Report to the Sibley County Courthouse, Gaylord, Minnesota.  You can enter either the south doors of the Courthouse or the west doors to the Courthouse Annex and proceed to the stairs or elevator and go to the 3rd Floor.  Follow the juror signs to Courtroom II where you can check in with the bailiff.

How long will I be there?
The hours of court are generally 9 – 4:30 each day.  If you are not selected on a trial, you may be released early.  If you are selected, you will be here until 4:30.  If you are deliberating on a case, you may be here late in the evening.

Where can I park?
The county provides a free parking lot on the south side of the Courthouse or there is additional parking located on west side of the Courthouse Annex. There is also parking available on Court Avenue.

Do I have to come in every day?
No, you do not report every day.  You will only report for jury duty when you receive a letter from the Court requesting you to report for jury duty on a certain date. DO NOT REPORT FOR JURY DUTY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A SUBSEQUENT LETTER FROM THE COURT INFORMING YOU TO REPORT FOR JURY DUTY.   You will be instructed to call 507-237-4065 or toll-free at 1-888-422-2779 after 4:30 p.m. on the Thursday before the scheduled day to report (please read the letter thoroughly for detailed instructions) or if you call after hours (Courthouse hours are 8:00 to 4:30 p.m. M-F) listen to the recording.

What if I have moved out of the County?
You are not eligible to serve as a juror in Sibley County if you have moved out of the county.  However, we need this information in writing.  We ask that you complete the jury questionnaire and include your new address.  Once we receive this information, we will confirm that you are disqualified.  This also applies if you plan to move before your jury term.  In that case, give us the effective date of your move.

I am more than 70 years old and want to be excused.  Do I still have to fill in the entire form?
You are required to check off the question that asks, “Do you wish to be excused?”  Then on the reverse side of the summons, fill in your date of birth and sign the form.  We encourage you to complete the entire form for statistics purposes however, it is not required.

Do I have to provide a doctor’s statement to be excused?
You are required to submit a doctor’s statement to be excused.  If your condition is of a temporary nature, you will be granted an automatic postponement upon request.  A postponement does not require a doctor’s statement.

Do I have to dress up for jury service?  
Jurors are expected to have a neat appearance.  Slacks are acceptable for women.  Men are not required to wear coats or ties.  Jeans are allowed as long as they are neat and clean. Shorts are not allowed.

Is there an emergency telephone number to leave with my family?  
Yes, the number for Court Administration is 507-237-4054.  A message will be relayed to you as soon as possible by our staff.

May I bring a cellular phone with me? 
Cellular phones are not allowed in the courtrooms so jurors may not bring them.

May I bring in my personal computer so I can do some work?
Yes, there are electrical outlets but no telephone lines are available.

Will I immediately be assigned to a courtroom upon reporting?                              
Initially you will be sitting in a courtroom awaiting jury duty.   You are encouraged to bring reading materials, etc., to pass the time while waiting.  

How many trials may I serve on?
Once a juror has served 10 days (either on 1 trial or multiple trials), the juror's obligation is completed. This will provide an opportunity for a greater number of residents to participate in this patriotic service.  

May I go out to lunch when I am on jury service? 
If time permits, you may go out - we have information available on nearby eating establishments.

Can I still serve if I am hard of hearing?
Yes, we have a sound system in all of the courtrooms with headphones.  If you are hearing impaired, please contact us upon receipt of the summons, and we will schedule a sign language interpreter.

Additional Jury Service Overview can be found at http://www.mncourts.gov/JuryService

The information contained on this site is not intended as legal advice but as a general guide to explain the legal process.