2nd District  

Juvenile Court
In this section:


Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Juvenile and Family Division > Juvenile Court >

2nd District Juvenile Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q. How do I find out where are you located, directions, parking, hours and whether you are handicap accessible?
  • A. The Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Justice Center is located at 25 W. 7th St, St. Paul, MN The entrance to the Justice Center is on the corner of West Seventh Street and St. Peter Street.  [We are kitty-corner from Mickey’s Diner in downtown St. Paul.]  There is meter parking and several parking ramps in the vicinity.  Click here for map to The Juvenile and Family Justice Center . The Juvenile Family Justice Center is a secured facility and everyone entering the building is required to go through a metal detector.  All bags are examined by an X-Ray machine.  You will be asked to leave any items that are banned from entering the court area such as firearms, knives, cameras, etc. at the security station.  For a complete list of banned items click here. You may pick them up after your court appearance.  The facility is handicap accessible and business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mon-Fri unless by appointment for e.g. a wedding.
  • Q. How do I find out what your fees are, whether you take checks/credit cards, and whether payments can be made?
  • A. Pay by cash, check, Visa, or Mastercard. Make checks payable to: Ramsey County Court
  • Payments can be made at the Juvenile Court Clerk's counter on the 1st floor of Ramsey County Juvenile & Family Justice Center, or mailed to the Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Justice Center, 25 W 7th St, St Paul, MN 55102-1103.
  • Q. How do I get phone numbers and directories for the juvenile division?
  • A. Juvenile Court Fax: 651-266-5101

    Juvenile Court General Information: 651-266-5115

    Juvenile Court Records:  651-266-5115 or 651-266-5117

Juvenile Detention Center: 651-266-5255

  • Q. How do I know if I need to appear in court?
  • A. If you have been ordered to appear, you must appear.
  • Q. How do I find out if I can just pay my traffic ticket like in adult court?
  • A. You cannot proceed as you would in adult court.  However, you may be able to resolve your case with out a court appearance.  Call the Juvenile Traffic Unit at 651-266-5113 for more information.
  • Q. Are interpreters available?
  • A. Yes.  Call the JFJC 651-266-5115. Interpreters are available for the court proceedings only.
  • Q. How do I find out if a warrant has been issued?
  • A. Due to confidentiality issues with juvenile cases, please call 651-266-5115 for information on warrants.
  • Q. Where is the Juvenile Detention Center located?
  • A. It is located at 25 W 7th St, St. Paul, MN.  After-hours and weekend entrance is located on St Peter St. North of the regular 25 W 7th St entrance.  You must press the buzzer to speak to the JDC for assistance.   The phone number for the JDC is 651-266-5200.
  • Q. How do I see my child if he/she is in the Juvenile Detention Center?
  • A. Only parents and legal guardians are allowed to visit—additional children, relatives and friends are NOT allowed.  You must provide picture identification prior to entering the JDC.  Residents are NOT ALLOWED to accept anything from parents or guardians.  Do NOT bring keys, cell phones, bags, purses, or briefcases, as you will be asked to leave them in lockers outside the JDC.  Parents will not be allowed entry if under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  Call 651-266-5255 for day and time of visitation—day and time vary due to pod assignments.
  • Q. How do I proceed if I have an out of control child?
  • A. Contact Ramsey County Children’s Crisis Response Unit at 651-774-7000.
  • Q. How do I do an adoption?
  • A. Consult an Attorney, see MN Statute 259 , and MN Adoption Procedures on the State Court Rules page.

    Here are links to attorney referral services:

    Minnesota Bar Association Lawyer Referral

    Minnesota Legal Services Coalition

    Neighborhood Justice Center

    Ramsey County Bar Association Attorney Referral 651-224-1775

    Adoption is a complex process.  Legally, adoption creates a new parent-child relationship.  For more information talk with staff in licensed adoption agencies, county social services agencies or an attorney.  You can also visit the Self-Help Center or the MN Department of Human Services.

  • Q. How do I terminate my parental rights?
  • A. The legal effects of termination are substantial. After termination, a natural parent's custodial rights are completely abolished. The order of the court terminating parental rights divests the natural parent of all legal rights and privileges with respect to the child.  Consult an Attorney and see MN Statute 260C, and the MN Rules of Juvenile Protection Procedure.

    For any legal questions, you are strongly urged to consult an attorney.  Here are links to attorney referral services:

    Minnesota Bar Association Lawyer Referral

    Minnesota Legal Services Coalition

    Neighborhood Justice Center

    Ramsey County Bar Association Attorney Referral 651 224-1775

  • Q. How do I report child abuse?
  • A. To report suspected child abuse or neglect, contact your county social service agency or the police. If it is an emergency, call the police at 911.  In Ramsey County call 651-266-4500.
  • Q. How do I get a public defender?
  • A. Depending on the type of court proceeding you are involved in, you may be eligible for the services of a public defender.  You may be required to show proof of income in some instances.  For more information, contact the Office of the Public Defender at 651-215-0600.
  • Q. How do I find out if  you have forms that I can fill out?
  • A. There are a few forms for juvenile court located at Minnesota Court Forms
  • You are strongly advised to consult at attorney to answer any legal questions.