2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Civil Filing >

Answering a Summons and Complaint

To start a civil lawsuit in Minnesota, a person or company must have a Summons and Complaint served on (delivered to) another person or company. The party starting the lawsuit is usually called the Plaintiff, and the party being sued is called the Defendant. The Summons generally says that the Defendant must provide the Plaintfiff with a written “Answer” to the Complaint within 20 days from when the documents were served on the Defendant.

Court Forms Court Forms  - To create a written Answer and respond to a civil lawsuit, download the Answer Forms & Instructions Packet. Carefully read and follow the instructions.

Self-Help Center Legal Help - Visit our online Self-Help Center to learn about Civil Actions in District Court and to find legal resources.


« Back to Civil Department Home

« Back to 2nd District Court Home