2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Conciliation (Small Claims) >

Personally Serving a Concilliation Court Claim



How to Personally Serve a Conciliation Court Claim.

After you have filed your claim, it must be served on the defendant. If your claim is for $2,500.00 or less the Conciliation Court Office will serve the claim on the defendant by first class mail stating the date and time that the case will be heard.  You will also receive a notice from the court as to the date and time of the hearing. If service cannot be made by first class mail, the Conciliation Court office will give you instructions as to how service must be performed. 

If your claim is for more than $2,500.00, you will be instructed to serve the claim by certified mail. Because you are the Plaintiff you may not serve papers on the opposing party even by mail. You must have someone else over the age of 18 who is a disinterested third party mail the claim. The person who mails the claim form must fill out and file an Affidavit of Service with the Conciliation Court. This form is available at the Conciliation Court Office, Room 170, Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Boulevard, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102 or online at www.mncourts.gov/district/2/.

In some cases the defendant must be personally served with the Conciliation Court Claim. This means that the the claim form must be handed directly to the defendant. The Plaintiff cannot personally serve the Claim form. It must be served by an independent third party who has no interest in the outcome of the case and is over the age of 18. The Claim form can also be left at the party's residence by leaving the claim with a person of suitable age and discretion which is a person who will take responsibility for giving the claim to the defendant.  Many cases settle when the defendant receives notice of the hearing.  It is your re­sponsibility to inform the Conciliation Court office in writing if you and the defendant settle your case.