4th District  


Courthouse Contact Us 
Phone:  (612)348-2040
Email: Email the Violations Bureau
Hours: 8:00a - 4:30p
Monday - Friday
Closed legal holidays

 right arrow

Going to Court
parking, maps, transit, more...

ADA Acommodation & Accessibility ADA Accommodation
& Accessibility




 Court Locations
Division 1
Hennepin Co. Govt. Center
300 South 6th Street
Skyway Level
Minneapolis, MN 55487
(612)348-2040 (Crim/Traffic)

Division 1
Public Safety Facility (PSF)
401 4th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612)348-2040 (Crim/Traffic)

Division 2 - Brookdale
6125 Shingle Creek Pkwy.
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
(612)348-2040 (Crim/Traffic)

Division 3 - Ridgedale
12601 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, MN  55305
(612)348-2040 (Crim/Traffic)

Division 4 - Southdale
7009 York Ave. S.
Edina, MN  55435-0654
(612)348-2040 (Crim/Traffic)


Judicial Branch Home > 4th District Home > Tickets & Fines >

Tickets FAQs (Violations Bureau)

Learn more... right arrow

For questions on driver's license, driving record, car title or registration, and license plates, please contact Driver & Vehicle Services (DVS).

How can I pay a ticket?

right arrow Visit our Payment Options page to learn how you can pay online, in person, by phone or by mail.

Late Payments: Failure to respond to a citation within thirty (30) days of the date the citation being entered into the court's record system results in late fees and increased penalties. The penalties could include one of the following:

  • your driver's license may be SUSPENDED;
  • the amount due gets referred to a collection agency that may access non-public government data for the purpose of handling collection;
  • a warrant may be issued for your ARREST; or
  • failure to pay five or more traffic or parking citations may result in impoundment of your vehicle until the fines are paid.


What should I do if the offense is "Court Required?"

If the listed offense is "court required," a "Notice (Summons) to Appear" in court at a set date and time will be mailed to you within 10 business days after the court gets the citation. It will be mailed to the address listed on the citation. Failure to appear in court may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. If you have questions about the charge(s), please call the Criminal Court at (612)348-2040.


Do I need a lawyer if I go to court?

No, but if you are not sure what to do or how to argue your case, you should talk with a lawyer. Brief legal advice from a volunteer attorney may be available the Legal Access Point Clinic at the Hennepin Court Self-Help Center.


How can I find a lawyer?

right arrow Learn more about Self-Help Legal Resources. You can find a lawyer by getting referrals from Bar Associations, community agencies, friends, employee assistance programs, and other people you trust. A free legal advice clinic might also be a service offered at your courthouse.

Many attorneys offer "limited scope" or "unbundled" services. This means that they will work on a specific task for you, and you don't have to hire them for the whole case. Some lawyers also offer a free initial consult.


I got a ticket for "No Proof on Insurance," but I have insurance on the car. What do I do?

You may bring your ticket in person or mail it with the proof of insurance to any of the four District Court locations listed on the right side of this web page. You may also fax the insurance proof, along with a copy of the citation, to (612) 348-6268.

The proof of insurance must cover the date of the offense AND have the vehicle identification number (VIN) on it. A bill or statement is NOT valid proof of insurance. When you give the court valid proof of insurance for the offense date, the ticket will be dismissed in most cases.


The meter was defective. What do I need to do?

If you got a ticket at an electronic parking meter and have the receipt that shows you paid for the space (meter) at the time the ticket was issued, read more about how to settle that electronic meter ticket.

If you received a ticket at a meter that was defective, you must report the meter and ticket numbers to the Traffic Violations Bureau by calling (612)348-2040

If the meter is found to be defective, the citation will be cancelled. If the meter is not found to be defective, you would need to either pay the fine or contest the ticket. You may check the status of the ticket by calling (612)348-2040 and enter the ticket number. If the ticket has not been canceled, and you would like to contest the ticket, you can meet with a Hearing Officer.

If you have not received a citation but want to inform the city that a meter is defective you may do so at:


I paid to park at an electronic parking meter and still got a ticket. What can I do?

If you got a ticket (citation) at an electronic parking meter and you have a receipt showing that you paid for the space (meter) listed on the ticket, we will check to see if there was a proper payment. Please send us a copy of your receipt and ticket to:

  • Email: 4thcitations@courts.state.mn.us; (*Please note: it may take several days to respond to your email), or
  • Fax: (612)348-6268; or
  • Mail: Send us the ticket and a copy of your receipt in the envelope that came with the ticket, or mail them to us at: Violations Bureau, 300 S. 6th St., Hennepin Co. Govt. Ctr., Minneapolis, MN 55487-0014.

*If you paid for the wrong space number, you would need to pay the fine or see a Hearing Officer to contest the ticket.


How do I get my driver’s license back?

Suspended driver’s license due to unpaid ticket(s)

If your driver’s license has been suspended due to an unpaid ticket, you must settle the outstanding ticket before your license can be reinstated. Call the Violations Bureau at (612)348-2040 to arrange for payment or a court appearance.

Revoked driver’s license

If your driver’s license has been revoked, call the MN Driver & Vehicle Services Division at (651)296-6911 to learn about your options. 

The Minnesota Judicial Branch publishes a forms packet called Petition for Hearing on Reinstatement of a Driver's License, but those forms CANNOT be used when the license was revoked for: 1) failure to take or pass an alcohol or drug test OR 2) failure to pay court-ordered child support or maintenance. Talk with a lawyer if you need more help with your case.


I sold a car, but then got a citation on it. What do I need to do?

Read and follow the steps in the Vehicle Owner Change Instructions. Another helpful resource is the Vehicle Transfer Facts published by the MN Dept. of Public Safety.


I can't find the seller. How can I get the title of my car put in my name?

Contact the MN Driver & Vehicle Services division to see what options you have in your situation. Information on how to ask for a court order to transfer title is on the MN Courts Self-Help Center website.


I sent in too much money. What should I do?

Ticket payments are processed at the Traffic Violations Bureau in the Hennepin County District Court. If you believe you may have sent an overpayment, please call (612) 348-2040 for more information on how to resolve this.  

I already sent in a check, but it was not enough. What do I need to do?

Ticket payments are processed in the Traffic Violations Bureau in the Hennepin County District Court. If an underpayment is received, the check or money order is processed as a "partial" payment. The additional amount owed must be paid immediately using one of the available ticket payment options.


I missed a court appearance and have a bench warrant against me. What do I need to do?

Call the Hennepin County Sheriff's Warrant Office at (612)348-2000.


What is a "street cleaning" violation in Minneapolis?

Each spring and fall the City of Minneapolis removes of dirt, sand, salt residue, leaves, and debris from the city streets. The City posts temporary no-parking signs when a street is to be cleaned. Vehicles parked on those streets during the temporary parking ban will be ticketed and towed.

right arrow  Learn more about Minneapolis Street Sweep.


What does "Snow Emergency" mean?

If your city has declared a "snow emergency," that means that no one can park a vehicle on certain streets for a period of time. Each city has different snow emergency rules. Contact your local city office for details. For current Minneapolis snow emergency information, see: Minneapolis Snow Emergency.

right arrow Learn more about tickets issued during a snow emergency.


I was ordered to pay a court fine. How can I pay it?

Criminal Court fines are due the day they are imposed.

Criminal Court fines must be paid in person OR by mail, and not online or by phone.

You may in person at the four Hennepin County District Court locations listed on the upper right side of this web page by using cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard).


You may send checks or money orders made out to "District Court Administration" to:

Hennepin County District Court
Criminal Division
Hennepin County Govt. Ctr.
300 S. 6th Street, PSL
Minneapolis, MN 55487

Other Questions?

Call the Violations Bureau at (612)348-2040 or send an email via our contact form (please include a citation number if available.)


^ Back to top



« Back to Tickets & Fines Home

« Back to 4th District Home