Service Desk  

Judicial Branch Home > SHC Home > FIND HELP WITH: > Criminal Expungement >

Forms - Criminal Expungement

NOTICE: Effective January 1, 2015, the law on criminal expungement will change. (See MN Statutes § 609A.02.) The new law gives the court power to expunge more criminal records, including some convictions. The law also allows the judge to order other government agencies to expunge their records. This area of law is complicated, and court staff cannot give people legal advice, so we strongly suggest that you talk with a lawyer about how the new law could impact your case. We are in the process of updating this website, but those updates are not yet available.

Step 1: Get your criminal case history
  Before you start to fill out your forms, you must get the detailed history of your criminal case(s) for all cases where you were charged with a crime, including cases where you were not convicted. You must write details of your case histories into the court forms.
Step 2: Get the court forms for criminal expungement
  You can download Criminal Expungement Forms or you can buy a pre-printed forms packet along with your criminal case history at your local courthouse.
Step 3: Fill out the forms
  Criminal Expungement Forms Tutorial  Step-by-Step Guide to Criminal Expungement Forms (video tutorial)

Step by Step Guide to Criminal Expungement Forms Step-by-Step Guide to Criminal Expungement Forms (.pdf)

Step 4: Notify specific government offices about your expungement case

Proof of Service Form EXP104 IMPORTANT STEP: Use Proof of Service Form EXP104 to serve expungement forms on government offices who might have a record of your criminal case.

The most difficult step for many people is serving notice of their expungement petition on government offices that keep criminal records. It is VERY important to do this step correctly. If you make a mistake, an expungement that is granted may not affect some government offices, OR you might have to start over.

Arrested, but not charged?

If you were arrested but not charged with a crime, there will not be a court record for that event. The police and the BCA may have records of the arrest, and there is a non-court process to expunge arrest (only) records under Minnesota law.


Get Help with Criminal Expungement

Visit Legal Advice Clinics & Self-Help Centers available in your area. If you are low income, you be qualify for help from a legal aid office or volunteer attorney. The Council on Crime & Justice also offers free expungement workshops for the public.


« Back to Criminal Expungement Home

« Back to SHC Home