2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Housing Court >

Lockout Petition

It is a misdemeanor for a landlord to physically lock out a tenant from the tenant's rental unit or otherwise prevent a tenant from living there by removing or changing locks, removing or boarding up doors or windows without a court order. A tenant who has been unlawfully locked out may petition the court to re-enter the premises under Minnesota Statutes 504B.225, 504B. 231.

The petition referred to as a Lockout Petition is filed in Housing Court located in Room 170, Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Boulevard, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102, (651) 266-8230.

The tenant must: