2nd District  

Judicial Branch Home > 2nd Home > Civil Division > Conciliation (Small Claims) >

Continuing a Court Date


How do I continue my Conciliation Court hearing?

If you have a conflict with the date for your conciliation court hearing, you must send a letter to the Conciliation Court. The letter must be received by Conciliation Court five (5) working days before the hearing. The letter must clearly state the reason why you cannot be at the hearing. Usually only one continuance is granted.

What happens if you do not appear for the hearing?

All parties must appear.  If you do not appear for the hearing, the court may dismiss your claim or award a default judgment against you. This may happen even if you originally brought the claim.  If the defendant does not appear, the court may award a default judgment in your favor.