Service Desk  

Judicial Branch Home > SHC Home > FIND HELP WITH: > More Legal Topics... >


Appeal of a Conciliation Court Order or Judgment

To appeal a judgment from Conciliation Court, you do that in the District Court of the county where the Conciliation Court case was filed. Go to "How do you appeal a Conciliation Court judgment?"

Appeal of a District Court Order or Judgment

Clerk of Appellate Courts Office Clerk of Appellate Courts Office

 Court of Appeals Self-Help Center

Rules of Procedure for Appeals in Civil Cases Court Rules - Appeals in Civil Cases (see also Rules of Appellate Procedure)

Rules of Procedure for Appeals in Civil Cases Appeals Forms (Appendix to Court Rules)

IMPORTANT! It is very difficult to appeal a case to the MN Supreme Court or the Court of Appeals. Filing an appeal is not a "do over" of the case. Appellate Courts review decisions the trial court judge made about the law, but not questions about the facts. We strongly encourage you to talk to a lawyer to get advice on whether an appeal is the best option for you and how to write a "brief" and present an oral argument. Court staff cannot give you any legal advice.

If you already appealed your case to an appellate court and it was "remanded" back to the District Court, you would need to speak with the judge's clerk or the District Court Administration for questions about the next steps in the case.

Appeal of a Government Agency Decision

If you are involved in a dispute with a Minnesota government agency (e.g., over proposed sanctions against a daycare provider license, the issuance of an administrative penalty order, etc.), you may be entitled to appeal the decision to the MN Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).

OAH is part of the Executive Branch of government (not the Judicial Branch) and is limited in its jurisdiction. Appeals to OAH are initiated through the government agency that issued the license or penalty order. Some appeals are handled by the government agency and not OAH, such as unemployment compensation and human services benefit payments. For people representing themselves without attorneys, contact the MN Office of Administrative Hearings (651-361-7900) with any questions about OAH Forms and Procedures. See Guide to OAH Hearings video.

Legal Resources

Unemployment Appeals Clinic brochure Free legal advice clinic for unemployment appeals.
Appointment required. See the brochure for details.


« Back to More Legal Topics

« Back to SHC Home