Remote Court Hearing Instruction Video
Face coverings are not required in court facilities. The Chief Judge of a Judicial District is authorized to require face coverings in a court facility if a county is designated as a "high” COVID-19 Community Level in accordance with CDC guidelines. Individuals who prefer to wear a face covering may continue to do so. Face coverings will be provided by court staff upon request.
Symptoms and Contact
Do not visit any court facility if you are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus. If you are required to visit a court facility but have COVID-19 symptoms or have had COVID-19 exposure in the last 5 days, contact the court or your attorney as soon as possible.
Current Court Operations
Health and Safety Protocols
- In-Person Hearings and Trials: Criminal Jury Trials; Civil Jury Trials; court trials in Major Criminal, Juvenile Delinquency and Juvenile Protection (including Child in Need of Protection or Services and Permanency) cases; Criminal Settlement Conferences; and Grand Jury Proceedings; and Mandatory misdemeanor criminal trials and contested hearings in these cases.
- Remote Hearings: All other district court proceedings will be held remotely unless the chief judge grants permission for an in-person proceeding based on extenuating circumstances.
- Public Service Counters: At least one public service counter in each county, and one in the appellate courts, will be accessible between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, excluding court holidays. Counter service can be provided remotely, by appointment, or in person.
- Self-Help Services continue to be conducted by appointment, remotely, or by telephone.
- Courthouse Terminals are available based on hours established by the local district court. See below for more details.
All courts are expected to meet conditions established by the Minnesota Judicial Branch COVID-19 Preparedness Plan
(March 3, 2022) to manage in-person activities in a manner that prioritizes health and safety.
Minnesota Judicial Branch COVID-19 Orders and Information »
Safely Reopening Court Facilities Resources »
Court Administration Office Access
- Entry to the courthouse is through the west door near the law enforcement center and exit is through the 3rd Street (east) door.
- The court administration customer service office is on the 3rd floor.
- A public access to court records computer is on the 1st floor.
- Self-help center services are available remotely Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Call (651) 435-6535.
- Wearing masks is required. Visit the Carlton County Website for more information about the County’s COVID-19 procedures.
If you have a court case scheduled in Carlton County District Court, call (218) 673-5065 to determine if your case will be heard or scheduled to a future date. You may also contact the court by email and use the dropdown menu to select the appropriate county.
August 6, 2021 Order Requiring the Use of Face Coverings
Administrative Order - Order Governing the Continuing Operations of MN Judicial BranchAdministrative Order - Closure & Access to Judicial District Courthouse
Administrative Order - Court Operations in Civil Commitment Cases
June 11, 2020 Update
May 14, 2020 Update
April 14, 2020 Update
April 7, 2020 Update
March 24, 2020 Update
January 17, 2022 Update
February 1, 2022 Update
February 17, 2022 Update
March 7, 2022 Update
May 20, 2022 Update