On Friday, April 28, the Stearns County Courthouse in St. Cloud will open its doors to the public as part of a Law Day “Open Courthouse” event. The event is being held to showcase the work of Minnesota’s courts, and educate the public about the work of judges, attorneys, law enforcement, and citizens in administering the state’s justice system. The free, open-to-the public event, will run from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Open Courthouse event will feature numerous activities, including:
A Somali interpreter and a Spanish interpreter will be available at the event.
- A special welcome ceremony hosted by Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Lorie S. Gildea and Seventh Judicial District Chief Judge John H. Scherer.
- An opportunity to meet local district court judges and justice system partners.
- Guided “behind-the-scenes” tours of the Stearns County courthouse, with presentations by judges and Stearns County justice partners.
- An information fair with representatives from numerous law- and justice-related organizations.
- Information on free and low-cost legal services available to the public.
- Presentations and displays focusing on the history of Stearns County and the Stearns County Courthouse.
The Open Courthouse event is scheduled to coincide with Law Day, a national day set aside to celebrate the rule of law. Law Day underscores how law and the legal process have contributed to the freedoms that all Americans share. Law Day was first established in 1958 through a proclamation by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Congress passed a joint resolution designating May 1 as Law Day, U.S.A in 1961.
“The justice system truly belongs to the people, and serves to keep our communities safe, fairly resolve disputes, and preserve the rule of law,” said Chief Judge Scherer. “As our nation pauses to celebrate Law Day, we wanted to give the citizens of Stearns County an opportunity to learn more about their local justice system, meet the people that work in our courthouse, and find out about the legal services available to them in the community. We will even share many of the colorful and interesting stories that have shaped the history of our near century-old courthouse.”
The Law Day Open Courthouse event is being hosted by Minnesota’s Seventh Judicial District in partnership with Stearns County and local justice system partners.