- Appointed by Governor Arne Carlson on June 3, 1994.
- Elected in 1996, 2002, 2008, and 2014. Current term expires Jan. 2021.
- Served as Assistant Chief Judge of the Ninth Judicial District from July 1997 through June 1999. Served as Chief Judge of the Ninth Judicial District from July 1999 through June 2001.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctorate, Cum Laude, 1979.
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor of Arts Degree, with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, major in political science and focus on criminal justice.
- Minnesota District Court Judge, 1994 to the present.
- 1983 through May 1994, Partner in Powell and Lang Law Office, Bemidji, Minnesota. Law practice included civil, family, and probate cases and arguing and briefing cases to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- September 1979 to 1983, Associate Attorney in Powell Law Office, Bemidji, Minnesota.
- Law Clerk, Minneapolis City Attorney's Office, 1977 to 1979.
- Intern, Juvenile Division, Metropolitan Council, St. Paul, Minnesota, 1976 to 1977.
Past and Present Legal and Judicial Memberships and Activities:
- Minnesota supreme Court, 1979.
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 1980.
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1994.
- Conference of Chief Judges, 1997 to 2001
Judicial Resources Committee
Retired Judge Subcommittee, Chair
Representation of Children in CHIPS cases, subcommittee
New Ideas Subcommittee
- Minnesota District Judges Association
Criminal Jury Instruction Guide Committee
Judicial Resources Committee
- National Association of Women Judges
- International Academy of Trial Judges
- Itasca County Non-Violence Council
- Ninth Judicial District Sexual Assault Council
- Ninth Judicial District Best Practices Committee
- Ninth Judicial District Case Flow Committee
- Itasca County Jail Task Force
- American Judicature Society
- Panel Member, 38th Annual Midwinter Conference, Minnesota Defense Lawyer’s Association, 2003
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Paralegal Task Force, Chair
Publications Committee, 1985 to 1996
Outstate Practice Committee
- Fifteenth District Bar Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Itasca County Bar Association
- Beltrami County Bar Association
- Anishinabe Legal Services Board of Directors
- Arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association
- Member of Centennial Rotary Club of Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Member of Reif Center Program Committee, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Member of Carillon Classics Bell Choir, Zion Lutheran Church, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Law Day activities, Middle and High School students of Itasca County, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, and grade school children visits to the court
American Association of University Women
Centennial Rotary Club
KOZY, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, radio show on the courts
WJJY, Brainerd/Baxter, Minnesota, radio shows on court issues
Women Aglow, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Member of orchestra, Grand Rapids Players
- Member of band, Showboat productions, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Member of Coleraine City Band, Coleraine, Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association
- Member, Friends of the Forest History Center, Grand Rapids, MN
Judge Lois J. Lang serves the Ninth Judicial District, which includes 17 counties in the northwest quarter of the State of Minnesota. Minnesota has 10 judicial districts, which are divided along county lines based on population. The Ninth Judicial District is the largest geographical district in Minnesota, encompassing approximately 30 percent of the state, and includes Aitkin, Beltrami, Cass, Clearwater, Crow Wing, Hubbard, Itasca, Kittson, Koochiching, Lake of the Woods, Mahnomen, Marshall, Norman, Pennington, Polk, Red Lake and Roseau Counties. The Ninth Judicial District has 23 judges. Voters in all 17 counties of the Ninth Judicial District vote for the 23 judges in the district.
Judge Lang is elected to Seat No. 12 in the Ninth Judicial District and her chambers are in Itasca County. Judge Lang is in a work area including Itasca County and Koochiching County and has presided over cases in many of the 17 counties of the Ninth Judicial District.
The District Courts in the Ninth Judicial District are courts of general jurisdiction, which means that each judge hears all types of cases. Judge Lang hears criminal, traffic, civil, juvenile, family, conciliation, and probate court cases.