Welcome Hennepin County Jurors!
As citizens, we all enjoy the rights of due process and the right to a trial before a jury of our peers. Your service as a juror makes this possible.
Browse the tabs on this page for information about serving as a juror in Hennepin County. For FAQs
, trial experience
and general information
, visit the Statewide Jury Service Information
For your convenience, we encourage you to use all of our online communication tools to stay in touch with the Jury Office.
Thank you for your service!
Most people who receive a jury summons serve as petit jurors. Petit jurors serve on jury panels in both civil and criminal cases. Petit jurors listen to the evidence offered during a trial and return a verdict. A verdict in a civil case may be a finding for the plaintiff or for the defendant. A verdict in a criminal case finds the defendant guilty or not guilty.
People summoned to serve as grand jurors consider evidence the State has gathered before a trial in a criminal case. They make decisions about whether enough evidence exists for the State to move forward with the charges and prosecute the defendant.
Petit and grand jurors are compensated for jury service at a rate determined by the Supreme Court for the days they are present, plus round-trip mileage from juror's residence to the Government Center.
Petit Jurors, upon completion of their jury service, should receive their check in the mail approximately one week later.
Grand Jurors should receive their check in the mail approximately one week after each week they are in session during their four month term.
If you are summoned to serve as a Petit Juror, you may postpone your service date one time, for up to nine (9) months. To ask to postpone service, you must do one of the following at least 10 days before
your summons date:
- Call the Jury Office at (612) 348-3158;
- Send us your request in writing; or
- When you complete the online Jury Questionnaire, you may request to postpone your service online at that time.
If you are summoned to serve as a Grand Juror, you may not postpone
your service date. You must complete the paper Juror Questionnaire
that you received in the mail and return it in the pre-paid envelope. If you have questions, please call the Jury Office at (612) 348-3158.
In Hennepin County, the Grand Jurors usually meet each Thursday at 8:45 a.m. over a four-month period. The schedule varies; sometimes, your session may be completed in half a day, and other times you could be required to appear two days in the same week.
As a juror in Hennepin County, you have two options for completing jury service. You may either report to the courthouse in the Hennepin County Government Center
each day of your two week service period, or
you may request to be placed on Call-in Status.
Jurors are paid for their service only if they are required to report to the courthouse. Once a juror is instructed to report to the courthouse, he or she continues to report there until told otherwise.
To qualify for Call-in Status
, you must do the following:
After being placed on Call-in Status
- Complete and return your Juror Questionnaire. You may complete and submit your Juror Questionnaire online or by mail (follow the return instructions found on the bottom half of your summons);
- Call the Jury Office at (612) 348-3158 no later than 4:00 p.m. on the Friday before your summons date; and
- Arrange your schedule (e.g., work, childcare, etc.) so that you are available to go to court (if needed) on each day during your two week service period. Note: You should check with your employer's payroll or human resources department regarding the employer's policies on jury service, which could be a factor in deciding whether the call-in status option will work for you.
, the Jury Office will assign you a new group number and give you the telephone number for the Message Line
- You must call the Message Line on the Sunday evening before your start date to see if you need to report to the courthouse by 8:15 a.m. for orientation on the first Monday of your service.
- Each day of your service period you must check for instructions for your group number. You may check in by calling the Message Line, or click the Call-in Reporting Info tab on this page. The information is updated at 12:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Continue to check in twice daily during your two week service period, or as instructed for your group number.
Call the jury office at (612) 348-3158
Back to top ▴
Status update for on call jurors Wednesday, March 29th, at 6:30 p.m. The following group number will need to report to the 24th floor of the Government Center tomorrow, Thursday, at 9:00 a.m. Group number 492, please remember to bring your summons. If your group number is not listed please check for the next update tomorrow at 12:15 p.m.