The courthouse in Virginia is one of three courthouses that serve St. Louis County residents. It was built in 1910 from plans by Bray and Nystrom of Duluth. The Beaux Arts style building has a two-story classical portico with four sets of ornate double columns that set off the three-bay pavilion. The two end bays have simple single windows above a high basement story. A balustrade crowns the roofline above the cornice, quoins define corners, and carved swags and garlands decorate spandrels and window tops. Light standards with white globes guard the front steps.
The courthouse doubled its size with an addition in 1921 and was extensively remodeled in the 1980s.
Historical information adapted from "The First 100 Years... The Minnesota State Bar Association."
Return to St. Louis County District Court - Virginia