Map of Minnesota with Hennepin County highlighted

Hennepin County District Court

Expanded Mandatory eFiling in Hennepin Courts

Effective July 1, 2015, eFiling and eService will be mandatory for ALL case types for attorneys, government agencies, and guardians ad litem who file documents in the Hennepin County District Court. This requirement is part of recent amendments to the Minnesota Rules of Court, enacted by a Minnesota Supreme Court order issued on April 23, 2015. Visit the eFile and eServe page for more details.

MN Judicial Branch Launches New Website for State Courts

Effective, June 27, 2015, the State Court Administrator's Office has launched a new website that includes pages for the Hennepin County District Court.

Free CLE on Minnesota Court Rules Changes

The Legal Counsel Division of the State Court Administrator’s Office is offering presentations (1.5 CLE credits) across the state on the major changes to court rules that take effect July 1, 2015. Rules include use of eFile & eServe, non-notarized signatures, and expanded access to court records. The CLE in Hennepin County is at 12:00 noon on July 1, 2015. For questions, contact Patrick Busch at patrick.busch@courts.state.mn.us or (651) 297-1463.

Hennepin County Civil Court "Order to Show Cause" hearing changes effective July 1

Hennepin County District Court will require both parties to appear at administrative Order to Show Cause hearings, effective July 1, 2015. See Order re Creditor's Appearance.  Read news release

Civil Court

The Civil Court handles non-criminal cases involving contracts, personal injury, property claims, name changes, implied consent, harassments, and more.

Conciliation Court

Conciliation Court, also known as small claims court, handles civil cases involving money claims of $15,000 or less.

Criminal & Traffic Court

The Criminal Division handles cases in five different locations, and includes specialized courts that focus on offenses related to DWI, drugs, domestic violence and community-related offenses.

Family Court

Family Court handles cases involving matters such as divorce, paternity, domestic abuse, child custody, support and visitation.

Housing Court

Housing Court is a specialty court that handles cases involving landlord and tenant disputes.

Juvenile Court

Juvenile Court handles delinquency and child protection matters involving children under the age of eighteen 18.

Probate / Mental Health Court

The Probate Court handles cases involving property of deceased persons; court-supervised trusts; and guardianships and conservatorships for minor children and incapacitated or incompetent adults. Mental Health Court handles cases involving the civil commitment of people to treatment centers, and referrals from Criminal Court.

 Today's Court Calendar »

Tip: After opening the calendar document, do a search for the name of a party or attorney to find the hearing time and location.

Location Key:

City Hall - Conciliation Court is in the Minneapolis City Hall
FJC - Family Justice Center
GC - Hennepin County Government Center (skyway level)
JJC - Juvenile Justice Center
PSF - Public Safety Facility
Suburban Courts - Regional service centers near Brookdale, Ridgedale, and Southdale


  • This is a daily calendar that is updated periodically during regular court business hours. It is SUBJECT TO CHANGE and may not include all cases handled by the court that day. Only scheduled activities appear in the calendar, and it does not include all possible matters handled by the court.
  • The calendar does NOT include Juvenile Court cases. Please call Juvenile Court Administration at (612) 348-4822 for information about those cases.
  • Do not assume a court hearing has been canceled or rescheduled if it does not appear in the calendar. Parties are required to appear in court for their scheduled court hearings, regardless of whether the hearing is listed in this calendar.
  • Some hearings and case details are "confidential" and will not be listed on the calendars (e.g., Orders for Protection, Paternity, etc). Some hearings may be closed to everyone except the parties.
  • Information in the calendar is subject to the MN Rules of Public Access.
  • For questions about criminal and traffic hearings, call (612) 348-2040.
  • For questions about other case types, contact the Court Administration office where the case is located.
Need to schedule a hearing? Contact the Court Division where your case is or will be filed.

Daily Judicial Assignment Roster »

Hennepin County judicial officers are assigned to handle cases in various court divisions, and assignments can change from day to day. Check the roster to find the location, phone number, and assignment for each judge and referee who is schedule for hearings. For questions, please call (612) 348-2040.

Suburban Court Calendars

Some criminal cases have hearings in our suburban court locations (Brooklyn Center, Edina and Minnetonka). Please visit the Suburban Courts section of our website for details.

 Search court records online with MPA Remote »

MPA (Minnesota Public Access) Remote offers access to case information over the internet for certain court records in the Minnesota Court Information System (MNCIS). The information is limited as described in the MN Rules of Public Access to Records of the Judicial Branch. Information in MPA Remote is not the "official" court record. Court documentscannot be viewed in MPA Remote at this time. For criminal "background checks," please contact the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

MPA Courthouse offers more detailed case information than MPA Remote. Free public access computers are available at Minnesota the courthouses to search ALL case types (except Juvenile), and to view public court documents.


District Court Records Center (Main)

Hennepin County Government Center
300 South 6th Street, B-Level
Minneapolis, MN 55487  Map »
Phone: (612) 348-3170
Case types available at this location:
Civil, Criminal, Housing, Mental Health, and Probate

Conciliation Court

Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street, Rm. #306
Minneapolis, MN 55415-0926  Map »
Phone: (612) 348-2713
Case types at this location:
Conciliation Court ("small claims") cases filed 2009 or earlier 

Family Court

Family Justice Center
110 South 4th Street 
Room B-17 (lower level)
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2279  Map »
Phone: (612) 596-1089
Case types at this location: 
Annulment, Child Support, Custody, Divorce, Domestic Abuse, and Paternity

Juvenile Court

Juvenile Justice Center
590 Park Avenue, 1st Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55415  Map »
Phone: (612) 348-5089
Case types at this location:
Adoption, Child Protection, Delinquency

Copy Request

For a fee ($10 plain copy or $16 certified copy), you can request a copy of a court document in person at the District Court Records Center, or by sending us your request using the Court Document Copy Request Form. For more information on Court Fees, visit the Court Fees tab.

Case History Search

For a fee ($16 per name searched and certified), you can request a case history search either in person at the District Court Records Center, or by sending us your request by using either the Criminal Case History Search Form or the Civil/Other Case History Search FormNOTE: For criminal "background checks," please contact the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Judgment Search

For a fee ($7 per name seached and certified), you can request a civil judgment search in person at the Judgments Office, or by sending us your request by using Judgment Record Search Form.

Q:  How can I find records for other courts in Minnesota?

A:  Visit the Access Case Records page on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website or contact the local District Court.

Q:  How can I get an "authenticated" or "exemplified" copy of a court document?

A:  Fill out and send us a Court Document Copy Request Form and check the box for "Other/Comments" Part C. On the blank in the form, tell us what type of document you need. You must include payment for the copy fee along with your completed request form. Visit the Court Fees tab for more information on fees.

Q:  How long does a judgment last?

A:  A civil judgment can be enforced for ten (10) years from the date it was entered. It can also be "renewed" if not satisfied (paid) within the 10 years. To enforce a judgment that was not paid during the 10 year timeframe, you have to start a new lawsuit before the end of the 10 year period, based on a claim for failure to pay a judgment (MN Statute § 541.04). A lawsuit is started by serving a Summons and Complaint on the judgment debtor. You should talk to a lawyer to get advice on how to prepare the papers and handle the case. Court staff cannot give legal advice.

Q:  How far back in history do Minnesota court records exist?

A:  The management of court records is controlled by the Records Retention Schedule for the MN Judicial Branch and the law at MN Statute § 138.17 on keeping and destroying public records.

Probate and Mental Health records date back to 1864. The records require permanent retention, and they may be stored in different media, including old roll film and many forms of microfiche based on technology available at the time.

Q:  Where can I find naturalization (citizenship) records?

A:  Minnesota naturalization records can be found at the MN Historical Society, located at 345 Kellogg Boulevard West, St. Paul, MN. Years ago, the naturalization process used to involve two sets of documents: applicants filled out a Declaration of Intention to become citizens (first papers), and then they received their final papers, where citizenship was granted. In the 1940s, the power of granting citizenship was transferred to the Federal District Courts, and applications were handled by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Today, applications for U.S. citizenship (naturalization) are processed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

FAQs for specific case types are linked below:

For other Hennepin Court Forms, visit the Forms tab on this webpage.

Transcript Requests

The Court Reporter Unit in the Fourth Judicial District is responsible for scheduling and assigning court reporters to proceedings so that they can record what is said in the courtroom. The court reporter may be present in the courtroom during the proceeding, or they may use audio equipment to record what is said in the courtroom from a remote location. They also handle requests for written transcripts of proceedings. Not all court proceedings are recorded where a transcript would be available.

A Transcript is the Official Court Record

According to Rule 4, subd.3 of the MN Rules of Public Access and the District Court's standing Order Relating to the Official Court Record, the official court record is a written transcript of a proceeding, and audio recordings of court proceedings are not to be disseminated or released. Written transcripts of court proceedings are prepared upon request. The requesting party pays a fee directly to the court reporter before she or he prepares the transcript. The first time someone requests a transcript of a proceeding there is a set rate for preparing the original written transcript and one copy. Extra copies of that transcript are then available at the copy rate.
Note on Conciliation Court cases: If you want to have a judgment from Conciliation Court transcribed to the District Court level, you must contact Conciliation Court. Please go to the FAQs on Conciliation Court tab, and then select "The Judgment" section to read How to Transcribe a Judgment to District Court.

Transcript Fees

There is a fee for written transcripts that is paid directly to the court reporter before she or he prepares the written transcript. Transcript rates are set by the MN Judicial Council. If you are low income and have a fee waiver order (IFP) in your case, you can file a Supplemental Fee Waiver form to ask the court to waive the transcript fees. A judge must approve the fee waiver before the written transcript can be prepared. If the judge denies your request and you still want a transcript, you must pay the fee before the transcript can be prepared.

Fees listed are by case type, and the rates listed are per page.

  • Civil: $5 (original and first copy), $.25 (extra copies)
  • Criminal: $3.50 (original and first copy), $.25 (extra copies)
  • Case with current Order for In Forma Pauperis (IFP) and Supplemental Fee Waiver: Fees are paid by the court
  • “Expedited” transcript request (needed immediately): Rate is negotiated between the court reporter and the requesting party.

Transcript Request Form

If you want to buy a transcript and you know which court reporter was present at the hearing, you may contact him or her directly. Phone numbers for some court reporters assigned to specific judges are listed in the Judicial Officer Directory.

If you want to purchase a transcript and you do not know which court reporter was at the proceeding, you can complete a Transcript Request Form, and then send it to us by mail, fax, or email at:

4th Judicial District Court
Hennepin County Govt. Center
300 South 6th Street, #C859
Minneapolis, MN 55487
Fax: (612) 596-0058
Phone: (612) 596-2870
Email us »

We respond to requests within one business day, and a court reporter will contact you as soon as possible regarding the fee.

Court Reporter Resources

Make checks payable to: District Court Administrator

Civil Court

  • Plaintiff/Defendant Filing Fee - $324.00
  • Name Change-Applicant/Defendant Filing Fee - $324.00
  • Jury Fee (party requesting jury pays the fee) - $102.00
  • Plea of Confession if Amount Confessed is $15,000 or less * - $70.00
  • Plea of Confession if Amount Confessed is over $15,000* - $324.00
  • Implied Consent* - $324.00
  • Tax Court Regular Division* - $324.00
  • Tax Court Small Claims Division* - $162.00
  • Foreign Judgment (out of state) of $15,000 or less - file a certified copy to register a case* - $70.00
  • Foreign Judgment (out of state) over $15,000 - file certified copy to register a case* - $324.00
  • Appeal from Conciliation Ct for bench trial/first filing by opposing party in Appeal from Conciliation Ct.* - $ 324.00
  • Appeal from Conciliation Court for jury trial ($324 first filing fee plus $102 jury request fee)* - $426.00
  • Administrative Appeals * - $324.00
  • Appellate/Supreme Court - Notice of Appeal and Petition for Writ of Certiorari - $550.00
  • Motion or Responsive Motion in a Civil case - $102.00
  • Fax 1 - 50 pages - $25.00
  • Every 50 additional pages - $25.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Conciliation Court

  • Claim - up to $15,000* - $70.00
  • Counterclaim - up to $15,000* - $70.00
  • Subpoena - $18.00
  • Witness Fee - $20.00
  • Witness round trip mileage - $0.28/mile
  • Copy of court record - $10.00
  • Certified copy of court record - $16.00
  • Request for Driver's License Suspension - $16.00
  • Special Term Motion (first filing)* - $70.00
  • Appeal – court trial* - $324.00
  • Appeal – jury trial* - $426.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Criminal / Traffic Court

  • Copy of ticket- original - $10.00
  • Copy of ticket- screen print - $10.00
  • Records Check- Certified, if no record - $16.00
  • Records Check- Certified, if record exists - $16.00
  • Expungement of Criminal Record - $324.00
  • Criminal Expungement Forms Packet + Criminal History Printout (Register of Actions) - $10.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Family Court

  • Petitioner/Plaintiff and Respondent/Defendant filing fees
    • Divorce (Dissolution) with or without Children, Summary Dissolution - $404.00
    • Domestic Abuse (respondent only) - $324.00
    • Annulment, Child Support, Legal Separation - $374.00
  • Custody, Family Other, Paternity, Separate Maintenance   - $324.00
  • All motions, including child support modifications - $102.00
  • Fax 1 - 50 pages - $25.00
  • Every 50 additional pages - $25.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Housing Court

  • File an Eviction Action* - $324.00
  • File a Lock Out, Emergency Tenant Remedy Action, or a Tenant Remedy Action* - $324.00
  • File a Rent Escrow* - $70.00
  • Writ of Recovery of Premises and Order to Vacate - $57.00
  • Request for a jury trial - $102.00
  • File a Motion or Response to Motion - $  102.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Juvenile Court

  • Petition for Adoption - $399.00
  • Petition for Dependency, Neglect or Termination of Parental Rights - $324.00
  • Motion to Intervene - $324.00
  • Adoption Record Check  - $5.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" below for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.           

Miscellaneous Fees

  • Transcript of Judgment issued from District Court - $42.00
  • Transcript of Judgment docketed in District Court - $42.00
  • Transcript of Hearings and Court Proceedings - See Transcript Requests
  • File a Satisfaction of Judgment or partial satisfaction - $7.00
  • Assignment of Judgment - $7.00
  • Application for Discharge of Judgment (+ plus the initial filing fee if not already paid or waived) - $5.00+
  • Certificate of Discharge of Judgment - $5.00
  • Supplementary Proceedings - $3.00
  • Issuing all Writs/Filing return - $57.00
  • Judgment Search (fee for each name certified) - $7.00
  • File documents by Fax (per group of 50 pages or part thereof) - $25.00
  • Request for Disclosure - $5.00
  • Order to Show Cause After Disclosure - $5.00
  • Request for Driver's License Suspension - $16.00
  • Notice of Attorney’s Lien - $1.00
  • Subpoena (each name) - $18.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document - Certified - $16.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document - Exemplified/Authenticated - $16.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document - Uncertified - $10.00
  • Copy of Unfiled Documents - $8.00
  • Copy of Register of Actions - $10.00
  • Court Forms and Instruction Packets 0-10 pages - No fee
  • Court Forms and Instruction Packets 11+ pages - $5.00
  • Criminal Expungement Forms Packet + Criminal History Printout (Register of Actions) - $10.00
  • Divorce with Children or without Children Forms Packet - $10.00
  • Harassment Packet - $No fee
  • NSF Checks (non-sufficient funds) - $30.00

Probate Court

  • Initial Filing Fee (Estates, Trusts, Guardianships, Conservatorships) - $324.00
  • Responding, Intervening, or Adverse Parties (first filing) (Estates, Trusts, Guardianships, Conservatorships) - $324.00
  • Petition commencing action after dismissal of initial petition (or case) (Estates, Trusts, Guardianships, Conservatorships) - $324.00
  • Guardianship Motions and Responses to Motions (Exceptions: No fee will be charged for uncontested petitions to allow accounts, sell real estate or discharges. Parties objecting to these petitions will be required to pay either an initial filing fee or motion fee, as applicable.) - $102.00
  • Trust Motions and Responses to Motions - $102.00
  • Trust Accounts (Annual or Partial) - $57.00
  • Deposit of Wills (Safekeeping) - $29.00
  • Certified Sale Papers (Note: $48 includes Will, Order, and Letters. Additional documents are $16 per document.) - $48.00
  • Certified Sale Papers for Successor (Note: $64 includes Will, Order, Successor Order, and Successor Letters. Additional documents are $16 per document.) - $64.00
  • Subpoena - $18.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document – Certified - $16.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document - Exemplified or Authenticated - $16.00
  • Copy of Filed Court Document – Uncertified - $10.00
  • Copy of Unfiled Document - $10.00
  • MNCIS Register of Actions - $10.00
  • Lis Pendens Certificate - $16.00
  • Records Check - Certified, if record exists (per name or variation thereof) (provides a printout of all cases, certifying each individual case is $14 per case) - $16.00
  • Records Check - Certified, if no record is found (per name or variation thereof) (provides a Clerk's Certificate certifying no record found after due and diligent search) - $16.00
  • NSF Checks (non-sufficient funds) - $30.00
See "Miscellaneous Fees" above for more details on fees for documents, forms, etc.

Note: Some fees increased per MN Statutes § 357.021s2(b) on July 1, 2013. See Public Notice.
*Effective 7/1/09, court fees include a law library fee of $12 for District Court and $5 for Conciliation Court per MN Statutes § 134A.09 subd.1.
MN Court Forms Catalog
Browse the catalog to find forms that can be can be used in any Minnesota state court.

The forms listed below are for use only in the Hennepin County courts. To use these forms in another court, you must contact that specific County Court Administration and confirm that they will accept the these forms.

4th District Court Forms

Civil Forms Conciliation Court Forms NOTE: A Power of Attorney Form is not a court form, but it is a legal form that may be helpful in taking care of important personal business for yourself or others.

Criminal Court Forms Family Court Forms General Forms Housing Court Forms Pre-filing Housing Mediation Project Forms: (see also Pre-filing Mediation Process)
  Judgments Court Forms
Juvenile Court Forms
Probate Court Forms Informal Probate Forms
Traffic Court Forms
Hennepin County District Court Judges are assigned to Judicial Teams ("buddy judges") for each court Division. Judges assigned to the same judicial team may handle another judge's case in an emergency (Policy D.19 - Judge Teams ("buddy judges") for Temporary Coverage and Reassignment).

Chief Judge:  Cahill, Peter A.
Assistant Chief Judge:  Bernhardson, Ivy S. 

Signing Judges
The signing judge is available for most case types Monday - Friday, 9a-12:00 noon and 1:30p - 4:15p in Room #C-757 on the 7th floor of the Courts Tower of the Hennepin County Government Center.

To access a signing judge for Family Court cases, go to Family Court Signing Judge Hours.

A View of the Bench
A table of photos of Hennepin DIstrict Court Judicial Officers

Family Court Judges

Burke, Kevin S. 
Carruthers, Philip C.
Holton Dimick, Martha A. 
McKeig, Anne (Presiding Judge) 
Sheehy, Kathleen D.
Siegesmund, Kristin
Robben, Patrick D.
Swenson, James T.
Wahl, Edward T.

Family Court Referees

Labine, Mark
Madden, Mary
Moses, Patty
Mulrooney, Tim
Stebbins, Richard
Wray, Tsippi

Probate/Mental Health Judge

Anderson, Jamie L. (Presiding Judge)

Probate/Mental Health Court Referees

Borer, George
Lien, Mike
Maus, Dean M. 
Schumacher, Anthony A.
The Hennepin County District Court has two walk-in Self Help Centers that offer services to people who are representing themselves in court (see Locations and Hours tab). Some services are also available at Conciliation Court, Housing Court, and the Domestic Abuse Service Center. The public may also visit the Hennepin County Law Library to find "do-it-yourself" legal materials and get help with legal research. NOTE: This website is not a substitute for legal advice. Talk with a lawyer if you need advice.

Walk-in Services

The Self Help Centers have computers with access to online resources such as tools to fill out court forms, "how-to" videos, and tutorials that are available on a first-come first-served basis. Other services include:

  • Court forms and written instructions (some fees may apply)
  • Brief legal advice from volunteer attorneys
  • One-on-one help to learn court procedures
  • One-on-one review of your court forms
  • Referrals to community resources and legal services
  • Staff speak English, French, Somali, Spanish and American Sign Language

See What Court Staff Can & Cannot Do

Tips on Using the Self Help Centers

  • Visit the Help Topics on the MN Courts website before you come to the courthouse. That website offers lots of information on common legal topics as well as online tools to fill out court forms, "how to" videos, and tutorials. You may be able to handle your legal matter or find answers to your questions without going to the courthouse.
  • Please arrange for child care. The walk-in Self Help Centers do NOT have a play area or toys for children. You and other customers will need to be able to focus on legal issues without distractions.
  • Expect to spend some time on your legal issues, both on your own as well as at the Self Help Center. You may have to return to the Self Help Center several times to complete the steps in your case.
  • Bring your checkbook or cash. Walk-in services are free at the Self Help Center, but there may be a fee for certain things in your case. Example: criminal history printouts, subpoenas, forms, and filing.

Mandatory Motion Screening

If your case is filed in Hennepin County Family Court and you are not represented by an attorney, then your motion must be screened by a Family Law Facilitator before a hearing date will be set. (Except: Screening is not required for "ex pro" child support motions where the County Child Support Office is involved in the case.)  The screening process does not mean that the judge or referee will automatically grant your motion. The motion will be decided based on the law, the evidence, and the legal arguments of all of the parties involved in the case.

How to Get a Motion Screened


Get these papers together:

  1. The forms for your motion (or response to a motion sent to you). These must be filled out to the best of your ability. If you have questions that keep you from finishing the forms, please make an appointment with the Family Court Self Help Center by calling (612) 596-8519.
  2. A copy of the latest court order(s) that you want to change or enforce through your motion.
  3. If you are responding to a motion served on you, bring all the papers you received from the other person.


Choose a screening option (by appointment or walk-in) described below. If your motion forms are for divorce, paternity, or third-party custody, then you MUST schedule an appointment for screening.

Screening Options

1.  By Appointment

We strongly encourage people to schedule an appointment to have court forms screened by a Family Law Facilitator. Call (612) 596-8519 to schedule your 1-hour appointment (or 2-hour appointment for third-party custody cases as these are more complicated.) The facilitator will meet with you and explain any issues with your forms and answer your questions. The facilitator cannot give you legal advice, but if you need legal advice, the facilitator can give you referrals. The facilitator will also explain the next steps in the motion process. IMPORTANT:  Please allow extra time for traffic and parking near the courthouse to avoid being late for your appointment. We will only hold appointments for 10 minutes.

2.  Walk-in

Appointments are encouraged, but staff will try to review completed court forms on a walk-in basis. Facilitators handle appointments first, so if you come to the Self Help Center without an appointment, you may have to wait 30 minutes or longer before staff can help you. Third-party custody papers cannot be screened on a walk-in basis; you must schedule an appointment.

Please make sure that your court forms are filled out BEFORE coming to the Self Help Center. If your forms are not completed, or you do not have all of the required information, you may have to return another day for an appointment. Also bring copies of any recent court orders issued in your case.

Family Law Facilitators

Q:  How can a Facilitator help me?
The facilitator will sit with you and explain any problems with your completed forms and answer your questions, but cannot give you legal advice. The next steps in the process will be explained. If you are having trouble with the forms, do not understand the written instructions you received, or if the forms do not seem to fit your situation, a facilitator can help you work through your papers.

Q: Do I need an appointment or can I get help on a walk-in basis?
A lot of people use the Self-Help Center, so you are strongly encouraged to schedule an appointment to have your forms reviewed rather than try to do it on a walk-in basis. Appointments are usually available with a facilitator from 8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. 

If your case involves third party custody, then you MUST schedule an appointment.  These cases are complicated and generally cannot be reviewed on a walk-in basis. If your case involves other family law disputes, court staff may be available to help you on a walk-in basis, but you may have to wait quite a while to speak with someone.

NOTE: Appointments can often last more than an hour, so please plan ahead for parking, child care, or if you need to take time off of work. Allow extra time for traffic and parking so you are not late for your appointment. We only hold appointments for 10 minutes.


By E-mail

Use the Contact Us form to send us your question by email at any time, and we will try to answer within 2-3 business days.

By Phone

People representing themselves in court can ask questions about court forms, procedures and legal resources by calling the statewide MN Court Self Help Center during service hours.

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (Closed Holidays)
Phone: (651) 259-3888

In Person

Self Help Center

Hennepin Co. Govt. Center
300 South 6th Street
2nd Floor, PSL
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0421
(612) 348-9399 (recording)

Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
(closed Holdays)


Services at the Government Center Self Help Center

Help is offered on criminal expungement, Harassment Restraining Orders (HROs), civil lawsuits, creditor/debtor issues, name changes, and other civil legal matters.

Court forms are available for pick-up from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.

In Person

Family Court Self Help Center Family Justice Center

110 South 4th Street 
1st Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 596-8519 (recording)

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. 
(closed holidays)

Please arrive at the SHC at least 1.5 hours before closing if you want help filling out court forms.

Services at the Family Court Self Help Center

Help is offered on divorce, custody, child support, and other family law cases at this location.
Court forms are available for pick-up from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Court forms review service:

  • Walk-in: Reviews of completed forms are available starting at 8:00 a.m. Monday-Friday on a first-come, first-served basis, until the list is full.  Arrive early for the best change of getting on the list.  No walk-ins are taken from Noon - 1:00 p.m.
  • By appointment: Call (612) 596-1067 to schedule an appointment.

NOTE: Get help with domestic abuse at the Domestic Abuse Service Center.

Volunteer lawyers give brief, free legal advice at several locations in the Hennepin County Court, including the Self Help Centers, Conciliation Court, Housing Court, and the Courthouse at Brookdale. Use of these advice clinics is generally limited to people who live in Hennepin County or have a court case in Hennepin County. Some clinic services are also limited to people whose income is within a certain range of the Federal Poverty GuidelinesAll clinics are first-come, first served.

Legal Access Point (LAP) Clinic at the Goverment Center

Sign up for all clinic times starts at 8:00 a.m.
  General public: Free legal consults are available on most legal topics. No income limit applies.
  Hours: Monday - Friday:  9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Monday:  1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  People with low income: Free legal consults for people with low income on most legal topics, except family law and criminal law.
  Hours: Monday - Friday:  11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday:  1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  Location: 4th District Court Self-Help Center
Hennepin County Govt. Center
300 S. 6th St., skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55487 map
    Check the Legal Access Point Clinic Calendar to see legal topics handled by volunteer attorneys each day. Attorneys listed as “General” on the Calendar do not give family law or criminal law advice. NOTE: The advice clinic attorneys are volunteers. Their schedules are subject to changes or cancellations without notice. Call (612)752-6666 if you want to confirm that an attorney will be at the advice clinic on a particular day.

Legal Access Point (LAP) Clinic at the Brookdale Courthouse

  General public: Free legal consults are available on any legal topic. No income limit applies.
  Hours: 12:00 noon - 2:00 p.m. Monday only (usually once each month). Please call (612)752-6666 to confirm when an attorney is scheduled to be at the clinic.
  Location: 4th District Court
Division 2 - Brookdale
6125 Shingle Creek Pkwy., 1st floor
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430 map

Free on-site parking is available at the Brookdale Courthouse.

Conciliation Court Clinic

  People with low income: Free legal consults are available on conciliation court matters (generally, for claims up to $15,000). You must be screened for income eligibility to use the clinic.
  Hours: Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Thursday:  9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  Location: Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street
Room #312
Minneapolis, MN 55415 map

Conciliation Court Appeals Clinic

  People with low income: Free legal consults are available for people who want to appeal (remove) a conciliation court judgment to district court. You must be screened for income eligibility to use the clinic.
  Hours: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month
  Location: Minneapolis City Hall
350 South 5th Street
Room #312
Minneapolis, MN 55415 map

Family Court Clinic

Sign up for all clinics starts at 8:00 a.m.
Volunteer attorneys sometimes cancel, so call (612)752-6677 if you want to confirm that an attorney is scheduled.

  People with low income: Free legal consults for people with low income (up to 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines) on family law topics only.
  Hours: Monday and Thursday:  10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Tuesday and Friday:  1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
    Sign-up for the advice clinic starts at 8:00 a.m. at the Family Court Self-Help Center on a first-come, first-served basis. The number of openings is very limited.
  Location: Family Justice Center
110 S. 4th St., 1st floor
Minneapolis, MN 55401 map
    Family Law Advice by Phone
Low-income people who live in Hennepin County can get a free 20-minute legal advice consult on family law matters from the Volunteer Lawyers Network. To schedule a consult, please call the VLN Intake Line at (612)752-6677 from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Monday, Wednesday or Thursday.
    MN Family Law Clinic Calendar
See dates, times and locations of family law advice clinics offered throughout Minnesota.

Housing Court Project

  People with low income: To use the clinic, a tenant must have low income and live in Hennepin County.

To use the clinic, a landlord must have low income and live in the rental property located in Hennepin County. The property title must be recorded in the landlord's name, not as a business.
  Hours: Monday: 12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (tenants only)
    Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    Thursday: 12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (tenants only)
    Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
  Location: 4th District Housing Court
Hennepin County Govt. Center
300 S. 6th St., 3rd floor in C-tower
Minneapolis, MN 55487 map



Business Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Closed holidays
Going to Court
parking, maps, transit, more...
ADA Accommodation

Court Information Line (612) 348-6000
Court Information Line (Spanish) (612) 596-9275
Child Support Hearings (612) 348-6734
Civil Court (612) 348-3164
Conciliation Court (612) 348-2713
Court Records Center (copies) (612) 348-3170
Court Reporter Unit (Transcripts) (612) 596-2870
Criminal Court (612) 348-2040
Criminal Court Records (612) 348-2040
District Court Administration (612) 348-2040
Domestic Abuse Service Center (612) 348-5073
Drug Court (612) 348-2040
e-File & eServe Help Line 1-855-291-8246
Evictions (Unlawful Detainers) (612) 348-5186
Expungements - Criminal (612) 348-2040
Expungements - Housing (612) 348-5186
Family Court (612) 348-6734
Family Court Records (612) 596-1089
Family Court Self Help Center (612) 596-8519
Fines (Citations & Court Fines) (612) 348-2040
Guardian ad Litem Program (Family) (612) 596-7540
Guardian ad Litem Program (Juvenile) (612) 348-6824
Harassment Restraining Orders (612) 348-9399
Hearing Office (Violations) (612) 348-2040
Housing Court (612) 348-5186
Human Resources (612) 348-2298
Implied Consent Cases (Civil) (612) 348-3164
Judgments (Civil) (612) 348-3169
Judgments (Conciliation Ct.) (612) 348-2713
Jury Office (612) 348-3158
Juvenile Court (612) 348-4822
Juvenile Court (Spanish) (612) 596-7111
Marriage Line (weddings) (612) 348-9962
Mental Health Court (612) 348-6868
Probate Court (612) 348-3244
Probate Court Records (612) 348-8016
Property Court (Criminal) (612) 348-2040
Psychological Services (612) 348-3723
Public Safety Facility (612) 348-2040
Security & Emergency (612) 348-5111
Self Help Center (Main) (612) 348-9399
Self Help Center (Family Ct.) (612) 596-8519
Small Claims Court (612) 348-2713
Traffic Court (612) 348-2040
Violations Bureau (612) 348-2040
For questions, comments or suggestions regarding this website, please email us