Appellate Courts will begin transmitting all notices, orders, and opinions electronically.
Beginning no later than July 1, 2011, the appellate courts will send notices, orders, opinions and correspondence related to pending cases to attorneys in those cases by e-mail rather than postal mail. All attorneys with pending appellate cases who have not already registered an e-mail address should do so immediately. Unrepresented parties with pending appellate cases may also participate in this e-notification system by registering an e-mail address. Please go to the Clerk of Appellate Courts page for instructions how to register your e-mail address.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED OPINIONS
Please visit the Minnesota State Law Library's Appellate Opinions Archive for previously published Supreme Court Opinions.
OPINIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT
FILED Wednesday, February 21, 2024
NOTICE - MEDIA RELEASE TIME IS 10:00 A.M.
State of Minnesota, Respondent, vs. Gregory Paul Ulrich, Appellant.
1. The district court did not abuse its discretion in denying a motion by defendant to strike a juror for cause because the juror did not express actual bias requiring either rehabilitation or removal from the jury.
2. The district court did not abuse its discretion in denying a motion by defendant to change venue based on the failure of defendant to renew the motion following voir dire.
3. Guilty verdicts of first-degree premeditated murder and four counts of attempted first-degree premeditated murder are supported by the record.
Affirmed. Justice G. Barry Anderson.
Took no part, Justice Margaret H. Chutich.
Otha Eric Townsend, Appellant, vs. State of Minnesota, Respondent.
The law of the case doctrine bars petitioner’s motion to correct a sentence under Minnesota Rule of Criminal Procedure 27.03.
Affirmed. Justice Paul C. Thissen.
Opinion sets contain all opinions and orders. The sets are compressed into files that must be unpacked before opening them.
Opinion Set in a Zipped PDF Format
- Click the above link.
- Save the unzipped file to your computer.
- Choose the "Open" option on the Download Complete screen.
- Extract the files to a location of your choice.
- Open the extracted file.
NO ADMINISTRATIVE ORDERS RECENTLY FILED
ORDERS ON PETITIONS FOR FURTHER REVIEW
FILED Tuesday, February 20, 2024
(Petitioner indicated in Italic Type)
1. In re the Marriage of: Matthew Beland
vs. Heidi Ann Beland, Polk County –
Issue Granted: Whether an individual court of appeals judge has authority to sua sponte dismiss an appeal upon an ex parte advisement from the Family Law Appellate Mediation Office, to dismiss the appeal because the parties “completed mediation.”
The decision of the court of appeals was vacated and the case remanded to the court of appeals for reconsideration in light of Rule 13(b) of the Special Rules of Practice for the Minnesota Court of Appeals Governing Family Law Appellate Mediation.
Lift Stay/Proceed with Briefing
2. In the Matter of the SIRS Appeal by Best Care, LLC – A22-1688
Issue Granted: In order to recover public funds paid to a vendor of medical care, is the Minnesota Department of Human Services required to prove both that the vendor committed abuse of a Medical Assistance program, and separately that such abuse also caused the vendor to be improperly paid for services that were not actually provided?
Cross-Review Issue Granted: Did the court of appeals correctly conclude that Relator was required to maintain copies of PCA Choice care plans in their offices and that the failure to do so constitutes abuse?
3. Charles Todd Bragg
vs. Tracy Beltz – A23-1018
4. First & First, LLC, a Minnesota limited liability company, et al.
vs. Chadco of Duluth, LLC, a Minnesota limited liability company – A23-0598
5. In re Daniel Cragg, et al., Dalvin Cook
vs. Gracelyn Trimble, Daniel Cragg, et al. – A23-0309
6. In re the Marriage of: Helena Koivu vs. Mikko Sakari Koivu
– A23-0890, A23-1267
7. In re the Marriage of: Matthew Beland
vs. Heidi Beland NKA Heidi Rylander – A23-1488
8. In re the Marriage of: Xiaoyan Sun vs. Qiang Yang
9. State of Minnesota vs. Braylen Justice Miller
10. State of Minnesota vs. Eh Doh Par
11. State of Minnesota
vs. Gerald Willy Dixon – A22-1721
12. State of Minnesota vs. Joseph John Hall
13. State of Minnesota vs. Joshua Louis Meek
14. State of Minnesota vs. Keith Darral Carlson
15. State of Minnesota vs. Michael Romeo Geraci
16. State of Minnesota vs. Micheal Lee Cocuzzi
17. State of Minnesota vs. Paul Scott Seeman
18. State of Minnesota vs. Quantelize Jerell Welch
19. The State of Minnesota vs. Adam Paul Strege
20. Theodore C. Lockhart, Sr.
vs. County of Hennepin, et al., James D. Verbrugge Public Capacity as Bloomington City Manager, James D. Verbrugge in Personal Capacity – A23-1556
Denied – Filed February 9, 2024
In the Matter of the Welfare of the Child of: B.D.D. and D.A.A.
, Parents– A23-1850
In the Matter of the Welfare of the Children of: C.B.C.
, A.D.W., Z.M.A. and L.T.D., Parents – A23-1888
In the Matter of the Welfare of the Child of: C.B.C.
and L.T.D., Parents – A23-1889