Appellate Courts will begin transmitting all notices, orders, and opinions electronically.
Beginning no later than July 1, 2011, the appellate courts will send notices, orders, opinions and correspondence related to pending cases to attorneys in those cases by e-mail rather than postal mail. All attorneys with pending appellate cases who have not already registered an e-mail address should do so immediately. Unrepresented parties with pending appellate cases may also participate in this e-notification system by registering an e-mail address. Please go to the Clerk of Appellate Courts page for instructions how to register your e-mail address.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED OPINIONS
Please visit the Minnesota State Law Library's Appellate Opinions Archive for previously published Supreme Court Opinions.
OPINIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT
FILED Wednesday, May 31, 2023
NOTICE - MEDIA RELEASE TIME IS 10:00 A.M.
NO OPINIONS FILED
Opinion sets contain all opinions and orders. The sets are compressed into files that must be unpacked before opening them.
No Opinion Sets Available
NO ADMINISTRATIVE ORDERS RECENTLY FILED
ORDERS ON PETITIONS FOR FURTHER REVIEW
FILED Wednesday, May 31, 2023
(Petitioner indicated in Italic Type)
POSTED THURSDAY AFTER SPECIAL TERM CONFERENCE
(Issues are as Presented in the Petition for Review)
1. Tokvan Ly vs. Jodi Harpstead, Minnesota Commissioner of Human Services – A22-1826
Issue Granted: Is a district court’s peremptory writ of mandamus, requiring the Executive Branch to take immediate action, immediately appealable as of right, where the district court’s order grants the primary relief sought by the Plaintiff, even if one issue is reserved for further determination?
2. State of Minnesota vs. Rebecca Julie Malecha – A22-1314
Issue Granted: Should evidence be suppressed that was obtained after an arrest on a
warrant that was previously quashed, but still shown as active to law enforcement.
3. State of Minnesota vs. Joshua Henry Baion Cummings – A22-0630
Issue Granted: Under Minnesota Statute § 611A.045, subdivision 1(a)(2), a district court must consider “the income, resources, and obligations of the defendant” when ordering restitution. Is equity in a defendant’s home a “resource” of the defendant when the defendant resides at the home and the home is co-owned by his non-defendant spouse?
Granted in part/Stayed
4. State of Minnesota vs. Abdirahin Omar Ali – A22-0321
Issue: Does the misconduct require reversal?
Stayed Pending Final Disposition in State v. Portillo, No. A21-1621.
5. In the Matter of the Decision on the Petition Requesting the Preparation of an Environmental Assessment Worksheet for the Proposed
W. Lorentz & Sons Construction, Inc., Sioux Quartzite Quarry, Amboy Township, Cottonwood County, Minnesota – A22-0818
6. Andres Lugo vs. ProPharma PV, Inc., et al., Linden Capital Partners – A22-1210
7. Morex Properties, LLC vs. Sauro & Bergstrom, PLLC – A22-0704
8. In Re the Custody of: X.W.F., Anthony Dexter Wayne Francis vs. Denise Tonche – A22-0976
9. Charlotte Copiskey vs. IMT Insurance Company – A22-1068
10. State of Minnesota vs. Eric John Peterson – A22-0674
11. Jeremy Bruce Cournoyer vs. State of Minnesota – A22-0810
12. State of Minnesota vs. Pao Choua Yang – A22-0573
13. In re the Matter of the Civil Commitment of: Malcolm Renfro – A22-1332
14. State of Minnesota vs. Katherine Leona Collins – A22-0293
15. In the Matter of the Petition of: Herman M. Bacchus and Chandra D. Bacchus for an Easement by Necessity, Certificate No. 133675
- Hilden, Certificate No. 86334 – Bacchus – A22-0610
16. State of Minnesota vs. Moosisaa Dhugumaa Bulchaa – A21-1630
17. State of Minnesota vs. Zakarie Farah Hassan – A22-0591
18. Eziquel Ignacio Leal vs. State of Minnesota – A22-0709
19. State of Minnesota vs. Mark Scott Hendrickson – A19-0680
20. State of Minnesota vs. Tevin Marcel Bellaphant – A22-0990
21. State of Minnesota vs. Dinanden Dewayne Doby – A22-0338