Due to scheduled maintenance, mncourts.gov and other court applications may experience brief outages between 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 1, 2023. Please plan ahead.
- Appointed to the Court of Appeals by Governor Mark Dayton on December 3, 2018. Elected in 2020. Current term expires Jan. 2027.
- Appointed to the Eighth Judicial District Court by Governor Arne Carlson in 1994. Chambers in Olivia, Renville County. Elected in 1996, 2002, 2008, and 2014.
- J.D. Hamline University School of Law, 1986.
- B.A., University of Minnesota, 1983.
- Qualley, Boulton, & Slieter, 1986-1994
Law School and College Faculty:
- Adjunct Professor of Pre-Trial Litigation
- Mitchell Hamline Law School, 2015
- Adjunct Professor of Remedies
- Mitchell Hamline Law School, 2000-2015
- Adjunct Professor of WRAP
- Mitchell Hamline Law School, 2000-2010
- Adjunct Professor in Department of Government
- Minnesota State, Mankato, 2010-2011
- 2009-2010 Elmer H. Wiblishauser Author’s Award
- Issued by the Minnesota State Bar Association Publications Committee, October 2010. Best article contributed to the Bench & Bar magazine for an article entitled “Contempt of Court: Has This been a Bad Month for Your Client?”, May/June 2010.
- Award for Outstanding Service to the Community
- Minnesota District Judges Association, September 6, 2002.
- William Mitchell Law Review
- “The Minnesota Public Defender System: A Change of Governance Should Occur for the State to Effectively Fulfill its Constitutional Obligation”, Vol 37, No. 2, 2011; Co-Author
- Bench & Bar of Minnesota Magazine
- “Contempt of Court: Has This Been a Bad Month for Your Client?”, Vol. LXVII, No. V, May/June 2010
- Bench Notes, 2008 Minnesota District Judges Association
- “Technology: What Changes Judges Might Expect to See in the Next Ten Years; Spring 2008
- E-Filing Report, 2003 Glasser Legalworks
- “Electronic Filing in Minnesota Courts”, May 2003, Vol. 3, No. 5
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- 12th District Bar Association; past president
- Minnesota District Judges Association; past member and board member
- Minnesota District Court/Tribal Court Forum (2010-2018)
- Criminal & Juvenile Justice Task Force (CrimNet Task Force) Judicial Representative (2004-2015)
- Minnesota Supreme Court General Rules of Practice Committee; past member
- Western Minnesota Legal Services; past member and president
- MSBA Volunteer Attorney Program; past volunteer
- MSBA Mock Trial Program; past attorney coach and trial judge
- RC Hospital & Clinics of Olivia Foundation Board Member (2008-2014)
- Olivia Kiwanis Barbershop Quartet; current member
- Kiwanis International; current member
- Woodbury Chorus & Orchestra; past member
- BOLD (Bird Island, Olivia, & Lake Lillian School District) Community Jazz & Swing Band; past member
- St. Aloysius Church Choir; past member
- Minnesota West Community & Technical College (formerly Southwestern Technical College); past member board of directors and chair