Appointed to the Minnesota Court of Appeals by Governor Tim Walz on September 5, 2023. Current term expires January 2025.
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A., University of Minnesota
- Principal Attorney, Hennepin County Attorney’s Office
- Shareholder, Briggs and Morgan P.A.
- Law clerk, Judge Myron H. Bright, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Law clerk, Honorable Natalie E. Hudson, Minnesota Court of Appeals
Professional and Community Activities:
- Appointed by the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Minnesota Supreme Court to serve on the Advisory Committee on the Rules of Appellate Procedure (2022-present).
- Appointed by the Minnesota Supreme Court to serve on the Advisory Committee on the General Rules of Practice (2020-present).
- Minnesota County Attorney Association, Appellate Committee Member (2017-2023).
- Chair of the Appellate Practice Section for the Minnesota State Bar Association (2012-2013).
- Adjunct Professor for appellate advocacy (Lawyering Skills III), University of St. Thomas School of Law.
- Adjunct Professor for appellate advocacy, Mitchell Hamline College of Law.
- Guest lecturer for appellate advocacy, legal writing, appellate jurisdiction, and criminal justice courses, St. Thomas School of Law, Mitchell Hamline School of Law, University of Minnesota Law School, and Loyola University Law School.
Publications and Presentations:
- Quarterly webcast Continuing Legal Education (CLE) for Minnesota on appellate law and practice (2016-present).
- Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice CLE (2020).
- Appellate Practice CLE for Minnesota Attorney General’s Office (2020).
- Interviewed Minnesota Supreme Court justices for Bench and Bar magazine articles.
- Editor of the Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Manual (2018, 2020, & 2022 editions).
- Presentations at the Minnesota Appellate Practice Institute (2011-2016, 2018-2019, 2021-23).
- Eighth Circuit Appellate Practice Manual, authored chapter on Supersedeas Bonds (2015).
- How to Prepare for Trial While Anticipating an Appeal (2012).
- Co-Author with Sam Hanson of The Minnesota Court of Appeals: Arguing to, and Limitations of, an Error-Correcting Court, 35 WM. MITCHELL L. REV. 1261 (2009).
- Art of Advocacy, authored chapter on Appellate Motions (2008).
- Ensuring Insurance Insures the Insured, 28 WM. MITCHELL L. REV. 1247 (2002).
Awards and Honors:
- Mitchell Hamline Law Review: Wallace-Lerner Award for Excellence in Leadership (2022).
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers: inducted as an Academy Fellow (2018).
- Minnesota Lawyer: Attorney of the Year (2012, 2019).
- Minnesota Lawyer: Up and Coming Attorney (2010).
- Minnesota Super Lawyers: “Rising Star” (2007, 2010-2017).
- Briggs and Morgan award for Shareholder Pro Bono Work (2011).
- Briggs and Morgan award for Excellence in Associate Training & Development (2012).