Fifth Judicial District Parent Education Classes
Fifth Judicial District includes these counties: Blue Earth County, Brown County, Cottonwood County, Faribault County, Jackson County, Lincoln County, Lyon County, Martin County, Murray County, Nicollet County, Nobles County, Pipestone County, Redwood County, Rock County, and Watonwan County.
Order: Fifth District Approval of Parent Education Courses (2020)
Parent Education Required in Contested Custody or Parenting Time Cases
Pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 518.157 enacted in 1998, parents involved in contested custody or parenting time cases, regardless of whether a marriage relationship exists, must complete a minimum of eight hours of parent education. In all other proceedings involving custody, support, or parenting time, the court has discretion to order the parents to attend a parent education program. The courses attended by parents must meet the Parent Education Minimum Standards.
Starting August 1, 2021, unless otherwise ordered, participation in a parent education course must begin within 30 days of the first filing in the case and prior to an Initial Case Management Conference, if one is scheduled.
Currently approved courses
- Parents Forever In-Person Courses offered by
- Parenting Resource Center, Austin, (507) 437-8330 (no child care available)
- True Foundation Counseling Services, Brooklyn Park, (763) 657-1551
- Health Resources, Detroit Lakes, (218) 844-8822
- Fergus Falls Community Education, Fergus Falls, (218) 998-0544
- Friends Against Abuse, International Falls, (218) 285-7220 (no child care available)
- Roseau County Northwest Mediation Services, Roseau, (218) 425-3106
- Ann Mozey, Stillwater, (651) 644-1000 (no child care available)
Live Video Conferencing
- Certevia MN Parenting and Divorce, offered by Certevia Education Programs, (800) 767-8193
- Children In Between Online Parent Education Course, offered by the Center for Divorce Education, (877) 874-1365
- Co-Parenting Into The Future, 6-hour course, (discount code for Minnesotans: MN), (disponible en español, curso de 6 horas aprobado solamente, código de descuento para residentes de Minnesota: MN), (832) 643-5908
- Impact-Based Parent Education, offered by Mediation Works North, LLC, (218) 263-7307
- Minnesota Parent Education and Family Stabilization Course, offered by the Bay Brooke Center for Independence and Wellness, (727) 827-7890
- Online Parenting Programs, (disponible en español), (works best with Chrome or Foxfire browser), (866) 504-2883
- Co-Parenting / Divorce Class (Clase de Crianza Compartida/Divorcio)
- Co-Parenting / Divorce Class Plus (+) (Clase de Crianza Compartida/Divorcio Plus (+))
- Parents Forever Online Course, (8-hour course approved only), offered by the University of Minnesota, (612) 626-3958 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Email is the faster way to get a response.
- Two Families Now Online Co-Parenting and Divorce Class, offered by Trifoia