Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Court

Juvenile and Family Court oversees the areas of: Domestic Abuse/Harassment, Family Court, and Juvenile Court.

Please note: The Juvenile and Family Justice Center is downtown and does not provide parking.

Domestic Abuse /Harassment

Juvenile and Family Justice Center
25 W. 7th St. #B122
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5130

The primary function of the Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office is to provide clerical assistance with the writing and filing of a petition for an Order for Protection (OFP) and/or Harassment Restraining Order (HRO) in Ramsey County.

Family Court

15 W. Kellogg Blvd
Room #160
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-2842

Family Court oversees court cases involving family matters, such as dissolutions of marriage, parenting time schedules and disputes, child custody issues, child support establishment and modification, and paternity cases.

Juvenile Court

Juvenile and Family Justice Center
25 W. 7th St.
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5115

Juvenile Court handles juvenile delinquency, juvenile traffic, child protection and adoption matters.  

Juvenile and Family Justice Center

25 West 7th St. #B134
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5115

Juvenile Court handles any Juvenile Delinquency and Juvenile Traffic Offender matters in Ramsey County. 

How do I resolve a Juvenile Court traffic offense?

If the case has been referred to Juvenile Court, a notice will be mailed to the address on the citation.  The notice will tell you if the offense if payable or court-required. This process can take 6-8 weeks.  Please note that the 21 day deadline mentioned on the citation does not apply to a case processed through Juvenile Court.  If you do not receive a notice or if the addess on the citation is incorrect, contact the Juvenile Court at (651) 266-5115.

How does a parent hear that charges have been filed?

If a juvenile is in custody, the Juvenile Detention Center staff makes every effort to contact the custodial parents immediately.

If the juvenile was not taken into custody, the court sends a notice to both the parent and child at the address provided on the petition.

My child has been arrested. Where is he/she?

In Ramsey County, juveniles are held at the Juvenile Detention Center at the Juvenile and Family Court Justice Center at the address above. 

Please visit the Ramsey County Juvenile Detention Center web page for more information about:

  • How to visit your child when he or she is in custody
  • How to get your child released
  • And other questions

Where will the case be heard?

Refer to your Notice of Hearing.
If your hearing is to be held remotely by Zoom, refer to the Zoom instructions contained in your Notice of Hearing. 

  • Technology is available at the Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Justice Center to participate in your remote hearing.

If your hearing is to be held in-person, the hearing is typically held at the Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Justice Center. 

Ramsey County Juvenile and Family Justice Center
25 West 7th St.
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5115

Subsequent hearings may be held in the county where the child lives.

What is my next court date?

Juvenile matters are not published on the internet.  Call the Juvenile Court office at (651) 266-5115.  Please have any paperwork with you when you call.

Can I change the court date?

Yes, in certain circumstances.  The answer will depend on the level of offense, whether continuances have been granted to you before, and the type of hearing. Call the Juvenile Court at (651) 266-5115 to see if this is possible. Call as soon as possible. Same-day continuances are not commonly granted.

What do I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?

Turn yourself into local law enforcement.
You may call Juvenile Court office at the number above to request a hearing to quash the warrant. Note: the warrant remains active until you appear at the court hearing.

Juvenile and Family Justice Center

25 West 7th St. #B134
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5115

What should I do if I suspect child abuse or neglect?

Report it.  In Ramsey County, these reports are handled by Ramsey County Child Protection Services.  Outside of Ramsey County, visit the Child Protection and Child Welfare page of the MN Department of Human Services website for the agency in your area.  If it's an emergency situation, call your local police or dial 911.

What happens when a report of child abuse is made?

Child abuse charges against adults are handled by the Criminal Court.  Reports of abuse are reviewed by Ramsey County Social Services.  If Social Services determines a petition is appropriate, they will file a CHIPS (Children In need of Protection or Services) petition with Juvenile Court.

If a child I know has been taken out of the home by Child Protection, can I request that the child live with me?

If you would like the child to be placed with you, contact Ramsey County Social Services, Child Protection division at (651) 266-4444.  Let them know that there is an active child protection case and ask to speak with the social worker in charge of the case.

Can I change my court date?

If you are represented, you should contact your attorney. Changing a court date in a child protection proceeding requires a motion, notification to all other parties and a proposed order. The continuance must be approved by the Judge.

I am a relative of a child who has been taken out of the home.  How can I be involved in this case?

Contact the Court at the number above to request that you receive notices for child protection court hearings. You may contact Ramsey County Social Services to request additional information about the case or to speak to the social worker assigned.

Juvenile and Family Justice Center

25 West 7th St. #B134
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5115

How do I adopt a child?

File a Petition for Adoption with the court along with the applicable fee.  You must be a resident of Ramsey County.  Adoption can be complicated; consider seeking the advice of an attorney.

More informationabout Adoption »

Ramsey County Court Records Information »


How do I request expungement of a Juvenile record?

File a Notice of Hearing and Petition for Expungement with Juvenile Court which can be found on the Ramsey County Self-Help page. Expungement is a complicated process.  You may want to seek the advice of an attorney. If you are representing yourself, contact Self-Help Center for assistance. If you are an attorney, you must contact Juvenile Court before filing and serving the paperwork to obtain a hearing date.

Family Court Overview

Family Court oversees court cases involving family matters such as dissolutions of marriage, parenting time schedules and disputes, child custody issues, child support establishment and modification, and paternity cases.

Family Court judges, referees, and magistrates hold court hearings on these issues, and the Family Court Clerk’s Office maintains the court files and provides access to records and documents.

Family Court Judicial Contact Information

The Self-Help Service Center provides assistance to individuals representing themselves in Family Court matters.  For more information, click on the Self-Help Service Center tab in the upper right corner of this page, or call the Self-Help Service Center at (651) 266-5125.

In July, 2009, the Second Judicial District implemented Early Case Management, specific resources can be found on the ENE/ECM Help Topic.

Location of Family Court

Family Court Administration is located in Room 160 of the Ramsey County Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Boulevard, St. Paul, MN 55102. Courtrooms for Family Court hearings before referees and magistrates are located in Room 190 of the Courthouse. Courtrooms for Family Court hearings before judges are located at both the Ramsey County Courthouse and the Juvenile and Family Justice Center, 25 West 7th Street, St. Paul, MN. The Family Court Administration Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Family Court Organization

Filing Unit
The Family Court  Filing Unit is located in Room 160 of the Ramsey County Courthouse. Responsibilities of this unit include processing Family Court documents for filing. Please see our Frequently Asked Questions or call (651) 266-2842 for more information.

Approximately 100,000 paper files are maintained by District Court Records. Other permanent files are kept in archival form either microfilmed records or imaged records. Dissolution records before 1981 are maintained by the District Court Records Unit. Questions regarding copy requests should be directed to District Court Records at  (651) 266-8237.

Child Support Unit
The Family Court Child Support Unit is located in Room 160 of the Ramsey County Courthouse. Responsibilities of this unit include processing IV-D child support matters, scheduling and holding hearings regarding those cases, and responding to requests for information. Hearings within this unit are heard by child support magistrates. Please see the Self-Help Service Center or call (651) 266-2831 for more information.

Assignment Unit
The Assignment Unit responsibilities include scheduling and holding hearings regarding Family Court cases other than IV-D child support matters, staffing the Self-Help Service Center, and responding to requests for information. Hearings within this unit are heard by Family Court judges and referees. Please see the Self-Help Service Center tab or call (651) 266-5125 for more information.

When and where is my next court date?

Check online, in the Search Court Records section of this site, or call us at the number above.  Be prepared to provide your case number.

How do I schedule a motion hearing?

If you are an attorney, contact a scheduling clerk in Family Court for a hearing date.  If you are representing yourself, come in to the Family Court Self-Help Service Center to schedule a hearing. 

What should I do if I can't appear at a hearing that's been scheduled? / Can I request a new court date?

Submit a written Request for Continuance for a new hearing date to Family Court in Room 160.  The court will also accept a letter.  Send a copy of the request to all other parties in the case.  The judicial officer will issue an order granting or denying your request or a scheduling clerk will contact you.

Are files confidential?

Actions for dissolution of marriage, child custody, and child support are public cases.   Actions to establish paternity are confidential cases.

Regarding documents, some documents in public cases are confidential.  Any document within a confidential case is confidential.

How do I view a file?

Non-confidential case information is online through the Access Case Records page.  File documents may be viewed by coming to the Family Court office on Kellogg Blvd (the addresson the right).  You will need a photo ID if the information is restricted to parties in the case.

How do I obtain a copy of a court document?
Copies may be purchased at the Kellogg Blvd location above.  There is a fee.

You may also mail a request to the Kellogg Blvd office along with a check made out to Ramsey District Court.  Tell us which document you would like to receive and the file number.  It will take about two to four weeks to complete your request.

Copies of confidential documents are available only to the parties and their attorneys.  When requesting a copy of a confidential document at the counter, a driver's license or state-issued ID must be produced.  If requesting a copy by mail, a photocopy of the license or ID must accompany the written request.

How do I obtain a transcript of a hearing?

Transcripts are prepared upon request. Contact the court reporter and request it. To contact the court reporter, call (651) 266-8302. The court reporter will give you an estimate of the cost and timeline.

If your hearing was in front of a Child Support Magistrate, submit a Request for Transcript form. The transcriber will contact you regarding cost and timeline.

How much does it cost to file?

Current fees are available on the Family Court Fee Schedule.

Can court fees be waived if I can't afford to pay them?

Yes, but you are expected to provide financial information to demonstrate that you cannot pay.  This information must be verifiable.  The process is known as In Forma Pauperis (IFP), and you must submit an IFP form.  If you have questions about the form, Family Court Self-Help Service Center staff can review the document with you.

Juvenile and Family Justice Center

Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office
25 West 7th St. #B122
St. Paul, MN 55102
(651) 266-5130

The Ramsey County Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. excluding court holidays. No appointment is necessary, however, appointments may be made for individuals who are unable to read and/or write in English due to a language barrier, injury, or disability. Please call the office prior to coming in to make those arrangements.

Court Operations Associates in our office are here to provide you with information regarding Orders for Protection and Harassment Restraining Orders and Extreme Risk Protection Orders. We cannot provide legal advice. We strongly encourage you to use MN Guide and File which is a web-based electronic tool that helps you create and file forms online. MN Guide and File is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. MN Guide and File is not available for Extreme Fisk Protection Orders at this time. If this technology is not avaialble to you, we can provide you the packets in paper form. Once you have completed your paperwork and submitted it to our office, either in paper form or electronically, the Court Operations Associates will forward your pleadings to a judicial officer for review. You will be contacted by our office with the judicial officer's decision and next steps.

Our office is part of a community collaborative that provide services to victims of domestic abuse. Additional assistance may be available for you. Please visit Bridges to Safety's website for additional information or call them at (651) 266-9901.

What is an Order for Protection (OFP) and a Harassment Restraining Order (HRO)?

See Basics on Domestic Abuse & Harassment »

Will a hearing be required?

It depends. A request for certain relief will require a hearing; the Petitioner may request a hearing; the Respondent may request a hearing within the time provided in statute; or the Judge may order a hearing.

How long after I turn in my paperwork will I know if the judicial officer has granted or denied my request?

Decisions are typically made within one business day.

How is the paperwork served upon (received by) the Respondent?

If an address is provided for the Respondent, the court operations associate will forward the order to the appropriate law enforcement agency to be served.

Law enforcement will attempt to personally serve the Respondent at the addresses that the Petitioner provided, with a copies of the Petition, resulting Order, and notices.

The Petitioner may call law enforcement to find out if the order was served.

If a court hearing is set the Petitioner must appear in court, regardless of service results.

If there is no court appearance set and service is unsuccessful, the Petitioner may return to the Domestic Abuse and Harassment Office and request alternate service by completing and filing an Affidavit and Order for Alternate Service or Publication.

How does a person dismiss or change an Order?

The party seeking a change to the Order needs to file the appropriate paperwork to motion to amend or dismiss the order along with a filing fee, if required.

What if the Petitioner Moves?

File a Notice of Change of Address with the Domestic Abuse and Harassment Office or if Petitioner's address is confidential, file a Confidential Address/Phone Request.

What if a party needs an interpreter?

Contact the Domestic Abuse/Harassment Office at (651) 266-5130 so that a court operations associate may arrange for an interpreter for appointments and court appearances.

May I be represented by an attorney?

You may choose to retain an attorney to represent you or you may represent yourself, however attorneys (i.e. public defenders) are not appointed to represent you in Domestic Abuse/Harassment cases.

How do I request a continuance for my court hearing?

You must submit any request and supporting documentation to continue the matter in writing, as soon as possible. The request will be forwarded to the Judicial Officer and the response, if any, will be provided to you.

What Happens at Court?

  • The first appearance is usually a remote hearing. Plan for 1-2 hours as several cases may be scheduled for the same time.
  • At the first hearing, the judicial officer may present the respondent with options to agree to the issuance of the order or to request an evidentiary hearing. If the respondent requests an evidentiary hearing, the evidentiary hearing is usually scheduled for another date. 
  • At an evidentiary hearing, the judicial officer will hear testimony and consider the evidence presented. Once the evidentiary hearing has concluded, the judicial officer will decide whether to grant or deny the relief requested.

What should I do if the Respondent violates the order?

Contact law enforcement to report the violation.